Varicose veins are veins in the feet and legs that usually given pain, discomfort and embarrassment to people who have them. These are large, swollen and twisting veins that are usually dark blue or purple in color. Why do varicose veins occur? It comes out when the small valves in the vein weaken. And when you have it and neglect it can get worse. Here are the symptoms if you have varicose veins:
- Warm feeling or as if something is throbbing in the leg.
- Legs hurt and heavy
- Muscle crumps worse at night
- Swollen feet and ankles
- The skin is dry and itchy
Here are the natural remedies that can be done to help and feel better and avoid varicose veins.
- Wear the right clothes – the clothes that you wear can have affect in your blood circulation. Wearing tight clothing like spandex and skinny jeans causes pressure in your abdomen which causes the pressure felt to go down your leg, which eventually blocks blood flow. Wear lightly fitted or slightly lose garments which will allow your blood to circulate normally through out your body.
- Wear light compression stockings – wearing light compression stockings helps to apply pressure to the legs to relieve pain.
- Exercise -regular exercise improve blood circulation in the legs and feet and helps push the blood that accumulates in the vein to flow properly. Walking is the most effective exercise. It tones your calf muscles which can help prevent varicose veins from developing.
- Lose weight – you need to lose extra pounds if you are overweight. Excess body weight puts heavy pressure on the veins, causing varicose veins to develop and worsen. Eat nutritious and nutrient-dense foods.
- Avoid wearing high heels – wearing high heels changes natural motion of walking because the weight of the body is only concentrated on the feet and toes. Due to the pressure of the body weight, the muscle in the leg is affected, causing the blood to accumulate in the leg. It is better to wear flat shoes.
- Practice raising the feet– as much as possible, keep the feet elevated at the level of the heart or higher to improve blood circulation. This position of the feet also reduces the pressure on the veins of the legs and helps the blood to flow properly back to the heart.
- Get a massage – a good massage increases local circulation as it stimulates blood flow in the soft tissues. You can use oils that are good treatment to prevent varicose veins such as lemon,, chamomile, rose, vitamin e, olive oi land moisturizer to make the massage light and smooth. Massage is a way to avoid the symptoms of varicose veins.
- Change position – if your job is sitting all the time, make it a habit to stand up and walk every thirty minutes. Avoid crossing legs because it prevents proper blood flow. If always standing stretch and move the legs to reduce the pressure of the veins. Use the stairs instead of the elevator to circulate the blood and prevent vein weakness.
- Eat foods rich in flavonoids – flavonoids are powerful antioxidants that help lower blood pressure in the arteries to relax the blood vessels and reduce the progression of varicose veins.
- Quit smoking- regular smoking destroys important antioxidants in your system and increases blood pressure. Smoking affects every organ of the body including the heart and blood vessels. Tobacco contains carbon monoxide that harm blood cells and damages the functioning of the heart. As a result your whole system is suffering because the blood circulation does not work properly which contributes to the presence or worsening of varicose veins.